Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Current fashion is bumming me out...

I had a supremely horrible day at work today...it sucked. It left me in the bathroom with tears in my eyes at one point - luckily I keep some Visine in my cubby in said bathroom (I normally use it for my red allergy eyes, but this time it came in handy, too). I managed to keep my cool in front of my coworkers...then at the end of the day I buzzed out just 20 minutes early and went down the road to the mall for a little retail therapy before it was time to pick P up from work.


All I have to say about the fashion that is available in stores right now is UGH. None of my winter clothes from last year fit (now that I'm 25 lbs lighter) so I have put away a nice little shopping fund to spend on some new sweaters and such....well, I've been out shopping THREE times in four days, and can't find anything that I like. Not even my beloved H&M had anything I really cared about. Everything's either too plain, too fug, or short sleeved....I understand that layering is "in", but when it's 30 freaking degrees outside, I don't want to wear short sleeves every day! Bleh.


I've been living in sweatshirts (and therefore looking quite dumpy) because I only have 3 long-sleeved, more fitted shirts and that's it beyond the sweatshirts. It's starting to take a toll on me. Today I not only wore a sweatshirt to work, but Adidas running pants with it!!! "The frump" is taking over!! Luckily we all have to wear scrubs at work anyhow, so it doesn't really matter - I just change as soon as I get there - but over the summer I was always wearing something cute and now that cold weather has hit...I need to rebuild my wardrobe up all over again. But I can't find anything I like! Suck.


I also realized today that my hair is a complete WRECK and I need a haircut extremely bad....it was fine then all of a sudden - poof! - it literally...well...poufs! It needs to be thinned out in the worst way EVER. I had to cancel my last hair appt a couple weeks ago b/c I was just too busy with us working on the bathroom. I haven't been happy with the last 3 times Cyndi has done my hair, so I'm thinking about changing salons anyhow. I like the "small funky salon" atmosphere but I don't like paying $40 for a haircut that I don't really like. And over the summer I had her color my hair twice (partial highlights are an extra $55 on top of the $40 for the cut) and both times, I didn't like it..the first time she bleached the whole front of my hair out yellowy-white, and the 2nd time it looked "frosted". I ended up buying a $10 bottle of hair dye and coloring over it b/c we were about to go on vacation to NC and I didn't want to look like a total 80's queen with my frosted hair. Then, after vacation, about two months ago, I took this picture in b/c I LOVE this haircut:


I love the length in the front and the sides, contrasted by the texture in the back and top. Funky, but feminine. Texture, but not dikey-spikey....see what I mean? Well, Cyndi was all about it....but I walked out with hair WAY shorter all over than that (like it was a female version of a buzz cut) and she cut HALF my bangs off and left the other half long. Like if I combed them straight down over my forehead, one side was short...almost-cut-totally-off, baby bangs...and the other half was long. Luckily if I pushed them to the side it didn't look too weird. Rach came over one night and I showed her the pic and she was like, "I love the haircut in the picture, but yours looks NOTHING like this!". It has now finally grown out to the length it was pre-weird haircut, so I can start over again. But I see no point in paying this woman $100+ for cuts and colors I don't like...so, once again I have to set out looking for a good hairstylist. Why, oh why, did Laurie leave?? I went to her for 4 years and she ALWAYS ALWAYS did the BEST job on my hair. She now lives in N. Carolina so...unless I plan on flying there every 6 weeks...I need to get someone else. Ever since she moved away last winter, I've been through the gamut and just can't find anyone who did my hair as well as she did ::sigh::


But, it needs to get done...my roots are starting to peek out, and my hair is getting fluffy. Lucky for me, my hair literally grows OUT, not down, so if I don't keep up on my cuts, I look like a Q-tip. I got a few recs from people I know who have cute hair, so let's pray, shall we? The problem is, no stylist ever seem to listen to what I want...I either get a generic, cookie-cutter pixie - which is flattering on me but not what I want - or I get some really weird, way too short (or too long and poufy), totally messed-up version of what I describe. At least one of the bonuses of having short hair is that the weird/fugly haircuts grow out quickly.
I also need a manicure...working in research means wearing latex gloves all day which equals nasty cuticles and dry hands. Manicures are essentially a waste for me in the sense that the first day I go to work with my pretty nails, by the end of the day the polish will be chipped and the shiney topcoat totally sucked off by the gloves. But, I still feel like I need it. I sense a Beauty Bar trip in my near future. I succumbed to the trend and bought some grey nailpolish a couple weeks ago. Grey polish is HUGE this fall. OPI brought out two greys - one called You Don't Know Jacques from their French collection, and the other called Metro Chic which is made specifically for Sephora. It was constantly sold out at Sephora so I'd given up on it, but one day while I was out and about running errands I came across a bottle of Jacque and decided to give it a whirl. It's actually more of a taupey brown after a couple coats. I have it on my toes right now, and I'm loving it. Yay for grey!


No comments: